Thursday, June 18, 2009

Canada Geese Menace



I'm supposed to be finishing my Ottawa Jazz Festival picks but just remembered a conversation I heard on the radio last night.

I'm listening to As It Happens last night on my way to Roddy Elias' 60th birthday party and they are interviewing Martin Lowney (sp?) in NY who says they are going to start culling Canada Geese around the NY airports. Not that controversial if you ask me. Early on he mentioned that they have "resident" geese who stay all year round which seemed off to me. He distinguished between migratory geese and resident geese but to my knowledge ALL Canada Geese migrate. I know ducks have a habit of becoming "resident" if they can find a year round source of food but I doubt Canada Geese can sustain themselves in NY through the winter.

Then he explained how they were planning to catch the geese and said this method has been used elsewhere. He says during the summer the geese lose their feathers and become flightless. Then they will herd the geese into pens so they can be removed and euthanized. Now Carol Off didn't seem at all phased by this plan. Am I missing something or is this nuts? Canada Geese are never flightless ... they are just too lazy and stubborn to fly when crossing the road and just prefer to hiss at passing cars and cyclists but they can fly all summer, at least as far as I'm aware. And I can say definitively that Canada Geese never lose ALL of their feathers. I think I would have noticed dozens of butt-ugly bald Canada Geese lounging around the Ottawa parks. I can't believe this guy is totally out to lunch but he clearly was not talking about the same bird I would call a Canada Goose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mark, They do not all migrate. This winter Ian saw a Canada goose in the cottage area and also saw goose tracks in the snow. We marveled that a fox or some other animal had not killed it. Wonder what they find to eat
Carol