Friday, January 4, 2008

Iowa


I guess it's a good thing that Obama took the Democratic race in Iowa. Personally I would like to see Edwards stay in the race. My problem with Obama is that he keeps talking like he's going to win the presidency and then all the kids in the schoolyard are going to play nice and that's just not going to happen. One side of a bitter feud can't end the feud alone by deciding to be civil. The Republicans thrive on being the opposition party because ... well they can't govern for shit and they like to think of themselves as the victims of big government. Other than that I like Obama just fine. At a different time in history I think he would make a great president and maybe he will in 2009. Edwards clearly understands that he's going to have to go to the mat to make real changes and sounds like he's prepared to do what's necessary even if the other guy calls foul - over and over and over again, everytime Edwards so much as clears his throat.

I'm opposed to Hilary simply because I'm against the idea of another Clinton presidency. According to Harper's index for Jan.2008, a quarter of Americans have lived their whole lives under presidents named Bush and Clinton. If Hilary wins the presidency and manages to server two terms, that number goes up to a third. There's just something fundamentally flawed in a system where two families control the presidency for twenty years. Add on eight more years for Hilary and George H.W. Bush's terms as Vice President and you get two families running the country for 36 years. That's certainly not a recipe for change. Besides we all know the Clintons are evil hillybillies who sell drugs and murder their friends and associates at the slightest provocation and I'm not sure I can stand that in the news for even another four years. God knows they'd probably decide to re-open Whitewater.

On the Republican side I have to agree with Tristero that Huckabee's rise is a very, very bad sign of the state of the Republican party. The only positive I can find, other than the fact that I don't believe he has a hope in hell of actually winning in November, is the fact that he's a bass player.

No comments: